Oxygen Release Compound Advanced (ORC Advanced®)
Advanced Formula Oxygen Release Compound (ORC Advanced®) is a proprietary formulation of food-grade, calcium oxy-hydroxide that produces a controlled-release of molecular oxygen for periods of up to 12 months upon hydration.
ORC Advanced powder is also available in 55 lb. drums
To supply controlled-release molecular oxygen to the subsurface environment where it will accelerate the rate of naturally occurring aerobic contaminant biodegradation in groundwater and saturated soils for periods of up to 12 months on a single application..
ORC Advanced is typically applied using direct-injection techniques. This process requires ORC Advanced to be mixed with water to form an injectable slurry which is then pressure injected (using a pump) into the zone of contamination. Once in the aquifer, tiny ORC Advanced particles can sorb to and/or reside in the soil matrix and produce a controlled- release of oxygen for periods of up to 12 months.
ORC Advanced is also widely used in tank excavation applications where it is applied into the open pit and covered with backfill.
ORC Advanced is also available in 2", 4" and 6" filter socks that can be emplaced in wells and removed when exhausted. Upon removal the spent socks can be replaced to restore the oxygen supply and maintain aerobic biodegradation as needed.
- A white to yellow, powdery material
- Composition - Calcium Oxyhydroxide [ CaO(OH)2 ], Calcium Hydroxide [Ca(OH)2] and Calcium Carbonate [CaCO3]
- Intercalated design allows for slow-release of oxygen without "lock-up"
- Releases 17% of its weight as oxygen when hydrated
- Packaged and delivered in 25 lb. PVC buckets
- (See detailed MSDS for full product specifications)
- Expected shelf-life of material = 2 years
- Injectable slurry for source area and permeable reactive barrier applications (most common)
- ORC Advanced and water mixture (slurry) application in excavations
- Dry powder application in soils and excavations
- Replaceable filter socks for single well and barrier applications
Benefits of Use
- Controlled-release of molecular oxygen to support aerobic microbial biodegradation
- Long-term source of oxygen to the subsurface (up to 12 months)
- Clean, low-cost, non-disruptive application (direct-push, excavations or socks)
- Direct Injection not limited by presence of surface structures
- No Operations and Maintenance
- Faster and often lower cost than drawn out natural attenuation approaches
- Complimentary product application design and site analysis from Regenesis
- Existing aerobic or anaerobic conditions
- Contaminant type and mass
- Subsurface geology (distribution)
- Depth to groundwater
- Groundwater flow rates
- Competing electron acceptors (oxygen sinks)
- Free product (if present call Regenesis tech services to discuss options)
- Oxidizing material (shipping and storage)